Writing Better Judgments I, Feb 2024
This program is designed to enhance participants’ judgment writing skills through analysis, discussion and rewriting of judgments in small groups. The guided workshop groups are led by professional writers and senior judicial officers.
Why you should attend this program?
The program provides:
- an engaging and enjoyable learning experience aimed at improving judgment writing skills
- facilitation by judges and writers with substantial experience in teaching judgment writing
- delivery using relevant, practical tools and tips for better judgment writing
- a high level of interactivity including group workshops and individual feedback
What will you learn at this program?
- preparation and planning for judgments
- what is good legal writing?
- issue based reasons for decision
- structure and architecture
- how to write judgments that are clear, comprehensive, concise, coherent and convincing (the 5C’s).
- getting started and keeping going
How will these skills help your court?
Participants are able to:
- identify, frame and resolve the factual and legal issues and structure an issues-based judgment;
- prepare and plan for an issues-based judgment;
- write a well-structured judgment with an interesting introduction which signposts the whole judgment; and
- use language, sentence and paragraph structure to support the 5Cs
This is a non-residential program; flights and accommodation are not included in the registration fee.